Take weight off fast with Dr. Ian Smith’s Customized 4 Day Diet Modules!
You can follow The 4 Day Diet straight through for a month with stunning results. But only you know how you eat—and how you diet. Customize your own program in whatever order works best for you—or just repeat the modules you like best.
Only the first two are doctor’s orders:
· Induction (detox/cleansing)
· Transition (to reintroduce food groups)
· Protein Stretch (to avoid plateaus)
· Smooth (eat pizza or even French fries!)
· Push (the sprint—you’re almost there)
· Pace (catch your breath and keep going)
· Vigorous (lose those last few pounds—for good!)
Dr. Ian Smith’s diets really work. And his motivating tips and tricks will help you stay on the program, enjoy your progress, and feel your success from day one.
Features more than 60 recipes for meals and snacks—food that will make you forget you’re on a diet!
Food choices vary between stages, but Smith keeps things simple with a list of foods and portions you can eat each day. Eat until you are satisfied but not stuffed.
The 4 Day Diet doesn’t say much about alcohol, other than it’s a temptation and you should practice the 80-20 rule. That means that if 80% of what you eat and drink is healthy and on the plan, and the remaining 20% is off the plan, you will still succeed in losing weight.
Transition Module Foods
According to Smith, all four days’ menus during the transition module are identical. You choose foods off of a major food list. You may eat less, but never more than the indicated foods. Two cups of coffee with one pack of sugar and creamer per cup are allowed. Vegetables included on the menu include 1 c of raw carrots, 1 c of cucumbers, 1 c of cooked beans, chickpeas, lentil or other legumes. Bakes beans are not included. A medium size salad with only vegetables is allowed with 3 tbsp. of low-fat or fat-free dressing. Fruit includes 1 apple, 1 pear, 1 c of berries. Protein sources include a 4-oz serving of fish, chicken or turkey with the skin removed. Meat should be grilled or baked and not fried. Smith advises at least six cups of water or more per day. Two snack are allowed. A list of snacks is listed in the “4-Day Diet” book ranging from 1/2 an avocado to 1 fat-free chocolate pudding cup.
The 4 Day Diet: The Pros
As with almost any diet, there are both benefits and drawbacks to following The 4 Day Diet. Some benefits include:
- Incorporation of exercise. “[Smith] does incorporate exercise, which I think is very responsible of him,” says Zied, referring to exercise as “the other side of the equation for weight control.” Following the strengthening exercises in the 4 Day Diet may help prevent some of the muscle wasting that often accompanies weight loss.
- Healthy, balanced eating tips. “Some of these modules are healthy and pretty balanced,” said Zied. “People can pick and choose one or more of the modules if they just want to try that for a little while,” she says. Zied notes that the smooth module is a particularly good way of eating.
The 4 Day Diet: The Cons
Potential drawbacks of The 4 Day Diet include:
- No evidence behind the “four-day” claim. “The author of this book is suggesting that you’ll lose weight by varying your calorie intake every four days,” says Zied, “but I don’t think there is really any scientific basis to that assumption.” Evidence from the National Weight Control Registry suggests that people who follow a relatively regular routine of healthful eating and physical activity are most successful in losing weight and keeping it off. “For long-term weight loss, you need to be very consistent in the way you eat,” says Zied.
- Potential for nutrient deficiency. Even though the 4 Day Diet incorporates many healthful foods, its restrictions put dieters at risk of consuming too few whole grains and dairy products.
- Risk of regaining the weight. Like any diet that changes the way you eat for a specified amount of time, your chances of regaining the weight when the diet is over are very high. “The research shows very clearly that really restrictive diet plans [in which] you are doing something that you don’t normally do — that is a 180-degree turnaround from your normal routine — are not going to hold up,” says dietitian Katherine Tallmadge, MA, national spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association and author of Diet Simple: 192 Mental Tricks, Substitutions, Habits & Inspirations.
While the 4 Day Diet includes many healthful recommendations, its restrictive nature may make it difficult to follow and could even put you at risk of becoming deficient in calcium, vitamin D, and other nutrients.
The 4 Day Diet plan
1 hard boiled egg 80 calories
1/2 orange 35 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES 537
1/2 cup regular yogurt 75 calories
1/2 grapefruit 50 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES. 631
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES 611
1/2 cup cottage cheese 120 calories
1/2 papaya or melon
w/lemon juice 30 calories
TOTAL DAILY CALORIES 578