What is Slim Fast?
Convenience and efficacy are the two biggest factors in modern weight loss programs, and we’ve heard consumers discussing the pros and cons of Slim Fast for a while now. We decided to pick apart the ingredients, side effects, customer service and clinical studies. Additionally, we dissected hundreds of customer reviews and comments. Then we condensed and summarized to give you the information you need.
The Slimfast diet is not just shakes anymore. This new plan is called the 3-2-1 Plan. Every day you eat two Slimfast meal replacements (ideally breakfast and lunch) and three 100-calorie snacks and the dinner option is a 500-calorie meal that you provide. This strategy offers many meal replacement options including six flavors of 200 calorie protein meal bars, 8 pre-made protein meal shakes and six flavors of powdered protein shake mixes, that are to be mixed with skim milk. For 100-calorie snack options, choose among the four different Slimfast snack bars, including peanut butter crunch and double-Dutch chocolate, or fruit (orange, cherries, banana, grapes, or pear), carrot sticks, pistachios, pretzels, sorbet or nonfat yogurt. For the meal you provide, Slimfast recommends filling half of your plate with vegetables (such as green beans, carrots, eggplant, spinach, or broccoli); a quarter with lean protein (beef, poultry, pork, tofu, or fish); and the remaining quarter with starch (whole wheat pasta or bread, brown rice, potatoes, or corn). Nothing is totally off-limits with Slimfast, including alcohol. The Slimfast web site features recipes for alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks made with its shakes. This program states that you can safely lose 1 to 2 pounds per week with this meal plan.
Slim Fast food
Meal replacements include six flavors of 200-calorie protein meal bars, 8 pre-made protein meal shakes, and six flavors of powdered protein shake mixes (to be mixed with skim milk).
For 100-calorie snack options, choose among four different Slimfast snack bars, including peanut butter crunch and double-Dutch chocolate, or fruit (an orange, cherries, banana, grapes, or pear), carrot sticks, pistachios, pretzels, sorbet, or nonfat yogurt.
For the meal you provide, Slimfast recommends filling half of your plate with vegetables (such as green beans, carrots, eggplant, spinach, or broccoli); a quarter with lean protein (beef, poultry, pork, tofu, or fish); and the remaining quarter with starch (whole wheat pasta or bread, brown rice, potatoes, or corn).
Does Slim Fast help you to lose weight?
Research suggests that Slim-Fast is an effective way to lose weight.
- According to a 2006 study published in the British Medical Journal comparing the effectiveness of four commercial weight loss programs in overweight and obese adults, dieters on the Slim-Fast plan lost an average of about 6 pounds over four weeks. That’s about the same degree of initial weight loss experienced by dieters in the study who followed Weight Watchers and Eat Yourself Slim, although less than the 10 pounds lost, on average, by those following Atkins.
- Long-term results are encouraging. In a four-year study published in Obesity Research in 2000, 100 overweight and obese people were split into two groups. One consumed 1,200 to 1,500 calories a day of regular food and the other replaced two meals a day with Slim-Fast products. Over four years, those who followed the Slim-Fast diet lost an average of 8.5 percent of their initial weight compared to 3.3 percent for the other group. If you’re overweight, losing just 5 to 10 percent of your current weight can help stave off some diseases.
- Researchers spent four years following more than 5,000 people with type 2 diabetes; one group used meal replacement products from either Slim-Fast, Glucerna, OPTIFAST or HMR, and the other group received diabetes support and education. At the end of the study period, those assigned to the meal-replacement group had lost about 8.6 percent of their starting weight, compared to 0.7 percent for the other participants, according to findings published in Diabetes Care in 2007.
- However, a systematic review of studies evaluating commercial weight-loss programs published in the Annals of Internal Medicine in April 2015 found that results for Slim-Fast were “mixed,” despite some evidence showing minimal weight loss differences between those on a Slim-Fast program and others who weren’t. Researchers said, in general, that more study is needed to evaluate the efficacy of Slim-Fast and Internet-based commercial weight loss programs, which are gaining in popularity.
Slim Fast PRO
- Convenience of food products for people on the go
- Variety of flavors to choose from
- Realize actual weight loss
- Calorie intake isn’t unsafe
- Named #3 in the Best Commercial Diets by US News, 2011
- As with all packaged food plans, the cost will be more than if you prepare all of your own meals
- Contains aspartame
Does Slim Fast Work?
So, are you heading out to buy a case of Slim Fast? Well, we like the longevity of the company and that it seems affordable, but we’re hesitant about this one becuase of research isn’t readily available to customers. We aslo have concerns due to customer commenting about poor taste and some negative side effects.
If you still need to trim down a bit, we suggest going with a supplement with no mention of negative reactions and a formula containig some clincially-tested ingredients.
Among the best supplements we’ve come across in 2016 is one called Leptigen. It features a proprietary blend of four ingredients – some clinically-tested – which have been shown to help burn fat and boost metabolism. We can’t find talk of negative side effects and online reviews are showing customers seeing great results.