What is the Cabbage Soup Diet?
Interestingly, no person or organization seems to want to claim responsibility for inventing the cabbage soup diet! So there isn’t an “official” version, but various cabbage diet plans based around eating copious quantities of cabbage soup, and very little else.
Claims made for the cabbage soup diet range from the ludicrous, ie. the cabbage soup itself has fat burning properties to the dubious, ie. you can lose 10lbs in a week. The diet is often put forward as a quick way to drop pounds for a special event and most proponents advise that it only be followed for a week.
The Cabbage Soup Diet plan is very strict. The idea is to eat as much cabbage soup as you like every day – enough to keep you full up, so you don’t cheat! Plus specific additional foods on each day of the seven day diet. No alcohol is allowed and other drinks are limited to water, and unsweetened fruit juice on days when fruit is allowed.
- Day 1 – Cabbage soup plus as much fruit as you like, excluding bananas
- Day 2 – Cabbage soup plus vegetables including 1 jacket potato with a little butter
- Day 3 – Cabbage soup plus fruit and vegetables excluding potatoes and bananas
- Day 4 – Cabbage soup plus up to eight bananas and as much skimmed milk as you like
- Day 5 – Cabbage soup plus up to 20 ounces of beef and up to six tomatoes
- Day 6 – Cabbage soup plus as much beef and vegetables (excluding potatoes) as you like
- Day 7 – Cabbage soup plus brown rice, vegetables (excluding potatoes) and unsweetened fruit juice
Recipes for the cabbage soup vary, but all are based on cabbage, onions, tinned tomatoes, green peppers, celery, carrots, mushrooms and onion soup mix.
- To Prepare
- Prep all the ingredients as directed in the recipe list.
- To Cook
- Put all the vegetables in a big soup pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium and boil gently for 10 minutes. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until all the vegetables are soft. Stir in the black pepper and chopped herbs.
- To Serve
- This soup can be served hot or cold. It can be pureed or partially pureed to vary textures. It can be seasoned differently for variety, with balsamic vinegar, lemon or lime juice, different fresh herbs, or chopped green onions.
the cabbage soup diet, cabbage soup diet recipe, cabbage soup diet plan, cabbage soup diet recipes, 7 day cabbage soup diet, weight loss cabbage soup diet